Like thousands of other people, you may find yourself working at home for the foreseeable future. Did you know your employer can make a payment of €3.20 per workday to an eWorker employee without deducting:

* Pay As You Earn (PAYE)
* Pay Related Social Insurance (PRSI)
* Universal Social Charge (USC)

This payment is to cover expenses such as heating and electricity costs. An employee may instead choose to make a claim online with Revenue at the end of the year. To do this, you must submit receipts to your local Revenue office using MyEnquiries which is available through MyAccount.

eWorking is where your employee works:

  • at home on a full or part-time basis
  • part of the time at home and the remainder in the normal place of work
  • while on the move, with visits to the normal place of work.

eWorking involves:

  • working for substantial periods outside the normal place of work
  • logging onto a work computer remotely
  • sending and receiving email, data or files remotely
  • developing ideas, products and services remotely

An employer may provide any of the following to an eWorker employee for business use:

  • computer or laptop
  • printer
  • scanner
  • software to allow you to work from home
  • telephone, mobile and broadband
  • office furniture

This is not a Benefit-in-Kind where private use by your employee is minimal. If your employee’s costs are higher and you repay these expenses, records of the payments made must retained by you.  These arrangements only apply to eWorker employees. They do not apply to workers who bring work home outside of normal working hours.

Capital Gains Tax (CGT)

Your employee might use part of their home for eWorking. If they do, it will not affect their Principal Private Residence Relief claim for full exemption from CGT.

Local Property Tax (LPT)

Your eWorking employee will not receive a reduction on LPT due if they use a room in their home to carry out work-related activities.

Find out more here –…/e-working-and-home-work…/index.aspx

If your business needs assistance with this contact